Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.

~William Wordsworth

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Moment in Time

   There are some moments in our lives that life forever in our memory waiting for us to recall, whenever we wish, the magic they once bestowed on us.  One of those moments occurred many years ago. 
           It was a Saturday morning; warm and bright and quiet.  The window near my bed was slightly open and I could hear the whispers of soft breezes lightly parting the delicate sheer curtains that I hung just the night before.  I remember how pretty they were; white with delicate embroidered lilies that ran all the way down to the hem. 
Still as can be and with eyes closed, I lay on my bed allowing my partially exposed skin to receive, with great delight, the soft caresses of the breeze that had just entered.  Like a soft kiss, it lingered only long enough to deliver the fragrance of the morning dew and the warmth of the sun.  Then quickly and quietly, it moved on allowing the next breeze to continue to stroke me.    "Umm",   I sighed with total contentment. What could be more wonderful?
After a short while, my attention was drawn to the sounds of nature outside my window.  They were busy composing a symphony with high and low chirps and rustling leaves.  The music they created elevated me to an even higher level of contentment.    I remember asking myself, “Who am I to be so lovingly awakened? “  Without any prompting I quietly whispered a prayer of gratitude.
With eyes still shut, I carefully turned and wrap my arm around my husband who slept quietly by my side.   He stirred lightly, grabbed my hand, and gave it a gentle squeeze. Oh, how I loved the feel of his warm skin next to mine and the sound of the gentle rise and fall of his breath.  I still do.   I stayed there for a little while relishing the moment. It was oh so perfect. 
 Finally, I opened my eyes.  To my surprise, the room was filled with rainbows.    The crystal piece that hung from the chain of the ceiling fan had captured the sunlight and it now cast a stream of small rainbows everywhere.  So beautiful.   I smiled, took a deep breath, and tried to savor the gifts the morning had given me.   Then quietly, with one soft sweep, I removed the sheets from my body and sat up.   I knew that many challenges awaited me that day and for many days to come, but for that one moment, all was well in my world.   I was happy to be alive and to be loved.  I visit that moment often to remind myself that life can be beautiful. 

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful write and cherished memory! Shah. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful images. Love the "feel" of that soft breeze, the peace and safety of the colors and gentleness that caressed you. Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful piece and calm feeling of warmth and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful is our God. The breeze the smell and the rainbow a new day a new gift. That was so peaceful to read and so true and warm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post. I would love feedback. I am looking to grow as a writer. So all comments, positive as well as constructive negative ones are welcomed.