Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.

~William Wordsworth

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Overcoming




 Stephen King said, “The scariest moment is always just before you start. After that, things can only get better.”
This week we asked you to write a memoir post inspired by that statement – in 300 words or less.



“I don’t think I can do this”, I said with pleading eyes.   

“Yes you can; it’s not that hard,” he replied.  

  My mind was racing with excuses that would help me get out of this predicament, but I couldn’t verbalize any of them.   We boarded the boat and found our seats.  A few minutes later we were racing through the warm turquoise waters.   The further we went, the more frightened I became.   To make matters worse, the rocking of the boat was making me nauseous.
 “I feel sick; I should wait for you in the boat.”  I said.  He looked disappointed.
 “Ok, breath… focus… you can do this young lady” I told myself.
Suddenly, the crew was passing out the equipment:  life jackets, flippers, and masks with breathing tubes. 
 “Oh no, this is it.” 

 Alarmed with images of shark attacks; drowning; being left behind, I stumbled, heart racing, to the back of the boat.     I could barely breathe.  Joe asked me to let out some of the air in the life jacket. 
“No way,” I replied stubbornly.    I’m a big girl and I need all the lift I can get.”  
He jumped in first and I followed after a quick prayer.    I couldn’t roll onto my stomach and water was getting inside my breathing tube.  I was kicking and gasping for air frantically.   Then Joe appeared.    He helped me make a few adjustments and lovingly reassured me that all was well.  He was right.  I was not drowning and there were no sharks.   I let out a sign of relief.  He reached out and held my hand.  With all the tension gone, I peacefully floated beside him, observing with wonderment the beauty of this underwater world.     All I could say was “Thank you God for allowing me to experience this.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I would love feedback. I am looking to grow as a writer. So all comments, positive as well as constructive negative ones are welcomed.